Sign-ups are now open for those who plan on participating in the 6th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge! May 16-22. This annual event aims to spread awareness of extremely economical diapering options for those in immediate need that can be done with no access to a washing machine. While this strikes some as unrealistic, even insulting, the truth is that the available information provided by this event has made a difference in the lives of many families who simply couldn’t afford disposables and needed a way to diaper their baby. Parents do what they must, and providing the tools they need to diaper a baby safely and hygienically is our goal.
Families at home who take this challenge are committing to ONLY using flat cloth diapers (a large, single square of cloth), reusable diaper covers (if desired), and will not use their washer or dryer at all for the week of the challenge. For more of an overview about the challenge itself please refer to last week’s announcement post.
There are rules for participating and they are as follows:
The following diapering items can be used:
• Any flat cloth diaper, store bought or handmade. A flat should be only 1 layer of material for easier handwashing and faster drying.
• 1 night time diaper per night of your choice although you are asked to make flats work for you (this diaper must also be handwashed)
• Doublers (not inserts meant to be absorbent enough to stand alone) if you absolutely must.
• A diaper sprayer.
• Wet bags/diaper pails for storage.
• Handmade “washing machine” for diapers such as the camp style washer
• Non Electronic Portable washing machines (must be powered by you and cost less than $100.
• Commercially available or handmade covers.
• Commercially available or handmade detergents.
• Snappi or other devices for closure.
• Pocket diapers STUFFED WITH FLATS. (note that the potential for repelling on the stay dry lining could make your challenge harder but you can see what happens)
• Homemade or store bought fleece liners.
• Iron (to use in order to expedite drying time or sterilize)
Materials Not Allowed
• Electronic washer/dryer.
• Pockets with inserts other than flats, AIO’s, Fitteds, Contours, Prefolds, AI2’s, etc.
• Flushable liners.
Rules for Everyone
• You cannot use your washer or dryer.
• If for some reason something arises and an exception is made you need to disclose in the Conclusions Survey or on your blog if you are a blogger.
• There is no limit on the number of flats or covers you can use. Should you purchase 100 flats for $100 and go a whole week without washing? No. Use your common sense on this one. As a tip the more diapers in your camp washer/ sink/ tub the harder the washing will be.
Rules for Bloggers
Bloggers are encouraged to participate and chronicle their week. I will have link-ups for each day of the challenge with blogging prompts. If you sign up as a blogger you will be sent more information on the prompts and rules to add your links.
For Stores and Manufacturers
Each year this event sees an increasing amount of interest from stores and manufacturers who often offer discount codes and incentives for flats and covers. If you are a company planning to offer any sort of special promotion or discount related to the challenge, or your company is blogging along, please email beforehand to discuss opportunities. firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to grab your flair to share that you’re taking the challenge!