I finally did it! I hit 100 video cloth diaper reviews! I uploaded my first cloth diaper video review on April 9, 2009. It was for the brand new Gro Baby (now GroVia). Believe it or not, I had never seen any video reviews then. I know now that there were other cloth diapers featured online in videos but call me clueless, I thought I had a BRAND NEW idea!
I think it is safe to say that even though videos weren’t new, what I did was. I was offering parents the opportunity to virtually explore a cloth diaper they might be interested in buying and filming enough that I had a searchable library. The closest cloth diaper store to me at the time was 1.5 hours away. If I wanted to touch and feel a new cloth diaper and have a knowledgeable salesperson give me the run down on how it worked it would be quite a drive, not to mention that there isn’t a store on the planet that carries every brand in existence.
Once I had a few videos under my belt I began acquiring enough videos to publish weekly. I chose Mondays as my Video Review Day. There are very few occasions that I haven’t posted a video on a Monday, but some weeks I have been known to publish two.
I started filming my videos with a Flip Mino HD. Turns out it isn’t that clear and my software would only let me upload at max to 480p. Blech! We got a new HD digital video camera that I still use today. Backgrounds have changed, formats have changed, and softwares have come and gone. Right now I am working with Final Cut Express and iMovie.
Oddly enough, I started the videos as a compliment to my blog but the YouTube Channel is an “empire” in and of itself. I actually get more views on my videos per day than on my blog. I have also moved on up to YouTube Partner meaning I get ad revenue from my videos. Sorry for the annoying ads but I have to make a living somehow!
It can get overwhelming having a video due every Monday. I’ve also added other instructional videos into the mix. Whenever I get down about the amount of work I have I try to remember the amazing emails or comments from viewers/readers that thank me for my work and credit me with helping them decide to use cloth diapers.
A lot of people ask me if I’m afraid that I will run out of diapers to review. Frankly, I have only hit the tip of the iceburg! There are so many diapers around now and there will continue to be more made. I have close to 200 diapers listed on my Finder, so almost double what I have reviewed. And THAT still doesn’t cover it! I’ll run out of babies beofre I run out of diapers. Fletcher is potty trained (see his tribute video) but I still have Ev.
Here is a look at every video review I have done (not in any specific order):
- Happy Heiny’s One Size Demonstration
- Sweet Pea One Size Diaper Cover
- Ragababe AIO and Organic ‘2-Step’ Demonstration
- Babykicks 3g One Size Pocket Diaper Demonstration
- Baby Beehinds PUL Wrap Cover
- Baby Beehinds Magic-All Multi Fit
- Softbums Omni: The Multi Purpose Pocket Cloth Diaper
- SproutChange V2.0
- Yo-Yoo One Size Bamboo Pocket
- Smartipants Smart Fit One Size Cover Review
- Charlie Banana One Size and Sized Pocket Demo/Review
- Doopsy “SD” One Size Pocket Diaper Demo/ Review
- Babee Greens One Size Fitted Demo/ Review
- Swaddlebees AIO Cloth Diaper Demonstration
- Little Comfort Bamboo Fitted Diaper Review
- Katydid One Size Pocket Cloth Diaper Review
- bumGenius 4.0 Review and Comparison to the bumGenius 3.0
- Gro Via All in Two/ Hybrid
- Bottombumpers One Size Review
- Mom4mom Cover and T-Shaped Liner
- Envibum One Size All-in-One
- Motherease Sandy’s Fitted and Airflow Cover Review
- AMP Stay Dry All in One
- Best Bottoms All in Two Review
- Gro Via All in One Review
- Sprout Change Reversible One Size Diapers
- Little Beetle Little to Big One Size Fitted Review
- Antsy Pants Review
- Goodmama ONE Review
- Bum Essentials One Size
- Pooters One Size Fitted Review
- Tots Bots Easy Fit Video Cloth Diaper Review
- Knickernappies One Size Side Snapping Video Review
- Real Nappies Prefold and Cover Review
- SweetPea AI3 Cloth Diaper Demonstration
- Tiny Tush Hemp Trim Fitted Demonstration
- Kissaluvs Marvel All in One review
- Tot Wraps Dream Diaper AIO
- GEN-Y Couture Cloth Diaper Cover Review
- Rumparooz G2 Cloth Diaper Demonstration
- Babykicks Bumboo One Size Video Review
- Lollidoo Eco Pocket One Size Cloth Diaper Review
- Kissaluvs Marvel One Size Cover Review
- Bella Bottoms Incredibella One Size Cloth Diaper Review
- Rocky Mountain One Size Cloth Diaper Video Demo
- Cheeky Diapers One Size Cover Review
- Thirsties Duo Cloth Diaper Review
- Applecheeks Reusable Cloth Diaper Demo
- Flip System Cloth Diaper Video Review
- AMP Duo One Size Video Review
- Tiny Tush Elite One Size Cloth Diaper Review
- Bummis Organic Cotton Prefold Kit Review
- Econobum Affordable Cloth Diapers Review
- Bamboo Bum Utility Diaper Video Review
- Bum Genius 3 0 Video Review
- Monkey Doodlez Bamboo AIO Review
- Wahmies One Size Video Cloth Diaper Review
- BabyKicks Organic Fitted Cloth Diaper review
- Baby Beehinds Minkee Magic-All
- Play All Day Hemp/Organic Cotton Fitted Cloth Diaper Review
- Drybees AIO Hybrid Review
- Softbums Echo AI2 Demo
- Bambino Mio Prefold and Cover Review
- Kiwi Pie One Size Fitted Video Cloth Diaper Review
- Snap-EZ Fleece Pocket and Monkey Doodlez Fitted Video Review
- Blueberry One Size Deluxe Cloth Diaper Video Review
- Wool Diaper Covers Guide
- Fuzzibunz One-Size Cloth Diaper Review
- Sustainable Babyish Multi Snapless Video Review
- Booroi Video Cloth Diaper Review
- Kissaluvs Marvel Cloth Diaper Video Review
- Sweet Pea One Size Diaper Video Review
- GAD Cloth Diaper Review
- ES Baby Cloth Diaper Cover Review
- SmartiPants Cloth Diaper Review
- Happy Heiny’s One Size Cloth Diaper Review (old style)
- Coolababy, the Ebay Diaper, Cloth Diaper Review
- Bum Genius Elemental All in One One Size Cloth Diaper
- Gro Baby Cloth Diaper Review
- Gro Baby vs G Diapers
- itti bitti Tutto One Size Cloth Diaper Demonstration
- itti bitti d’lish Cloth Diaper Demonstration
- Happy Hempy Fitted and Happy Heiny’s One Size Cover Demonstration
- Bright Star Trim AIO Cloth Diaper Demonstration
- Tiny Tush Elite 1.1
- Thirsties Duo Fitted and Duo Wrap Demo
- Weehuggers Demo
- Evolution Ion One Size: Demo and How to Size
- Rumparooz One Size Cloth Diaper Cover Demo
- Kawaii Goodnights Heavy Wetter and Square Tab Cloth Diapers Demo
- Mo Dia One Size Pocket Demo
- Gen-Y Universal Cover Demonstration
- Gro Baby With Snaps and Biosoakers Video Review
- Hiney Lineys Versa Cloth Diaper System
- Bummis Super Lite Demo
- Tetro Tying Nappy Demo
- Meg a Roo’s Extended Tab Prefold Demo
- Swaddlebees Simplex Compared to the Blueberry Basix- Demo
- Blissful Booty AIO and Ultra AIO Demo
Fun Facts about my Reviews:
My Most Viewed Video is: Sustainable Babyish Multi Snapless Fitted with 38,677 views!
The Longest Video is: Softbums Echo One Size AI2 at 9:25
I have over 6 hours of footage of just cloth diaper video reviews!
Total I have over 500,000 views on all of my YouTube videos- my reviews are the largest chunk of that!
My first video was: Gro Baby Cloth Diaper Review
My first two videos were uploaded to my husband’s YouTube account. Even now the account I use was created for personal use. Clearly I had no idea what was in store or it would have been under my blog name at least!
I asked if you had any questions and here they are along with my answers:
From Meagan P.
Q: What editing software do you use? What kind of camera?
A: I use an Olympus E-PL1 now. I started with iMovie for my first movie but the upload was so slow I started using Windows Movie Maker. The quality was terrible. I tried Magix and the quality was great but the features weren’t want I needed. Recently I switched back to iMovie and now I’m using both iMovie and Final Cut Express 4.
From Audra S.
Q: What is your favorite cloth diapering memory?
A: I’ll answer this from a video perspective. I really enjoyed shooting the Booroi cover review outside. My first son was quite young and he was trying to eat Dandelions. It was a fun little shoot with the family.
From Sarah L.
Q: What tripod to you use for the videos? What brand of camera do you have??
A: Nothing Fancy, just a Sunpak 620-080 Tripod, the kind you can buy from Amazon or Target. It does the job!
From Lacey B.
Q: How do you get all these diapers to review? Then what do you do with them?
A: I started by filming the diapers I owned. I was already having fun playing with diapers before I had a website. Once I ran out of diapers to film I bought a few but I also contacted manufacturer’s directly. I knew my videos were helpful and there was a small chance they would send a diaper for me to film. Eventually I had enough “street cred” that diaper makers were coming to me and asking to send diapers for review. I still buy diapers to review with my own money or with affiliate commissions when I really want to review it and I can’t get it any other way.
As for what happens to my diapers, many of them have been given away. Most recently I donated a gigantic box to Giving Diapers, Giving Hope. Honestly I am still using the same bumGenius 3.0’s that my first son used. I had them converted to snaps. They are white and well loved. I also have the entire Artist Series I was sent from bumGenius, and all of my Elementals I purchased over the years. Other than that I have a few choice AIO’s and now my small stash of Flats and covers that I love. I keep a drawer for diapers being reviewed. From now on unless I fall in love I will be sending regular shipments to Giving Diapers, Giving Hope. Now that I make income from my website there is no need to feel like the diapers are compensation like I used to. I’m very happy having a manageable stash size. If I kept every diaper that has come through my door I’d have at least 300!
From Leslie L.
Q: What were your top 10 favorite diapers that you reviewed, and why?
A: I’m answering this one not based on performance but based on diapers I was either the most excited to review, or ones that were the most fun. Also, this is not in order, just as they come to mind:
1. Gro Baby. This diaper started my “career” in reviews because of their innovative design.
2. bumGenius 4.0. I was anxiously waiting for that diaper to ship because I knew how many people wanted to see it on film!
3. Softbums Echo. What a unique diaper! It was challenging for me. I wish I was better at editing back then, that video is long!
4. itti bitti D’Lish. These diapers are gorgeous and they look beautiful on the black background I was using.
5. Sustainable Babyish Multi Snapless. I remember thinking how helpful that video would be while planning it. I hope it has been! Love that diaper too.
6. Kissaluvs Marvel AIO. I think this was the diaper I was most amped up about before it was released. I got to see it at a convention before the public and the design was so innovative; I knew a video was in order!
7. Econobum. I also got to see this diaper before the public and knew it would be a great option for familes.
8. Smartipants. I loved the idea of this diaper. It was one of my earliest videos too.
9. Fuzzibunz OS. I tried very hard to help people learn the sizing for this video.
10. Bottombumpers OS. I got to test this diaper before it was “public” and loved the idea for the OS snap placement!
Now that I have hit my goal of 100 I don’t have a specific number in mind. I wanted to create a library of video reviews and I’ve done that! I’m not quitting anytime soon but I am leaving behind quite a “legacy” of videos that will continue to help future cloth diapering parents. At least until all of these diapers are discontinued lol. Make sure you are subscribed to my YouTube Channel so you don’t miss a video!