It is that time again! Time to sign-up for the 4th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge. This year our event will take place beginning on the morning of May 11 and lasts until the end of the day on May 17. The excitement is building as more parents are learning about the event and the benefits of using flats, not just because they are the best for handwashing, but because flats are amazing cloth diapers! Why are we doing this? To show that cloth diapers can work for any family- especially for those choosing to buy diapers each week over using the money for other expenses they also need to pay.
First, you will want to understand the rules of participation.
The following diapering items can be used:
• Any flat cloth diaper, store bought or handmade. A flat should be only 1 layer of material for easier handwashing and faster drying.
• 1 night time diaper per night of your choice although you are asked to make flats work for you (this diaper must also be handwashed)
• Doublers (not inserts meant to be absorbent enough to stand alone) if you absolutely must.
• A diaper sprayer.
• Wet bags/diaper pails for storage.
• Handmade “washing machine” for diapers such as the camp style washer I made last year.
• Non Electronic Portable washing machines (must be powered by you and cost less than $100.
• Commercially available or handmade covers.
• Commercially available or handmade detergents.
• Snappi, Boingo, and Pins for closure.
• Pocket diapers STUFFED WITH FLATS. (note that the potential for repelling on the stay dry lining could make your challenge harder but you can see what happens)
• Homemade or store bought fleece liners.
• Iron (to use in order to expedite drying time or sterilize)
Materials Not Allowed
Rules for Everyone
• You cannot use your washer or dryer.
• If for some reason something arises and an exception is made you need to disclose in the Conclusions Survey or on your blog if you are a blogger.
• There is no limit on the number of flats or covers you can use. Should you purchase 100 flats for $100 and go a whole week without washing? No. Use your common sense on this one. As a tip the more diapers in your camp washer/ sink/ tub the harder the washing will be.
Rules for Bloggers
Bloggers are encouraged to participate and chronicle their week. I will have link-ups for each day of the challenge with blogging prompts. If you sign up as a blogger you will be sent more information on the prompts and rules to add your links.
For Stores and Manufacturers
Each year this event sees an increasing amount of interest from stores and manufacturers who often offer discount codes and incentives for flats and covers. If you are a company planning to offer any sort of special promotion or discount related to the challenge, or your company is blogging along, please email beforehand to discuss opportunities. email@example.comSign Up.
AND GET YOUR FLAIR!
Resources to get you started…
- Why You Should Love Flats Video and Infographic
- How to Make a Camp Style Bucket Washer video
- How to Pad Fold Video
- How to Kite Fold Video
- How to Origami Fold Video
- How to Diaperbag Fold Video
- How to “Jo” Fold Video
- How to Mini Kite Fold Video
- How to boil and prep flats
- How to Wash in a Camp Style Washer
You can also browse all blog posts made in during the past challenges (in backwards order, skip to the last page and work back for chronological order) by using the Flats Challenge tag.
As always the heart of this challenge is to shine a light on the fact that there are families struggling to provide clean diapers for their babies and to offer an alternative solution not often discussed when the major media outlets cover these stories. There are diaper banks that can help families get started with cloth diapers for free or little cost. If you know a family or are a family in need please visit Giving Diapers, Giving Hope- the longest running nationwide diaper lending program that ships to any approved family in the US. I encourage anyone touched by this challenge to donate to their organization and help them provide more diapers to more families.
Join our Facebook Group for live updates and to learn from other participants while we all get prepared for another Flats Challenge. On Instagram and Twitter we will once again be using the #FlatsChallenge hashtag, also #bringingflatsback for funsies.Pin It
Latest posts by kdrosas (see all)
- THE List- Black Friday Diaper Deals 2015 - November 23, 2015
- The Great American Teach-In “Cloth Diaper Laundry” Session - November 19, 2015
- THE LIST for Black Friday is Coming! - November 17, 2015